BJ Rose's Reviews > The Convenient Marriage

The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer

2030200
Jun 17, 2010

bookshelves: a-regency, summer-challenge
Recommended for: regency romance lovers
Read from June 17 to 18, 2010 , read count: 2

This was even more delightful the second time around, although it's been so long since my first read that much of this seemed new. It's a light-hearted Georgian romp about a very immature young lady who convinces a very rich Earl that he should offer for her instead of for her beautiful older sister; she's actually doing this out of love of her sister, who loves an army captain but was going to Sacrifice herself in a Marriage of Convenience to get the family out of the mess their brother created with his gambling.

Although there's an abduction (foiled by the heroine), some more nasty plotting, highway robbers, and a sword fight, this is really a comedy, with some Keystone Kops elements when the heroine's brother and his best friend try to resolve a dilemma that the silly twit (aka heroine) has gotten herself into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Convenient Marriage.

06/18/2010 page 67
21.0% "Does Rule have any idea what he getting himself into?!"
06/18/2010 page 103
32.0% "It appears that Horatia is infected with the Winwood Weakness for Gaming, as well as inheriting their bad luck - will Rule rein her in?"
06/18/2010 page 137
43.0% "Can even an immature headstrong twit be this dumb?!" 1 comment
06/18/2010 page 229
72.0% "Cousin Crosby, you really are a loser! Lost a duel with the brother, robbed by the villain you tried to rob, and now strangled to an inch by the husband. Time to flee the country?!" 1 comment

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Hmmm, would the heroine annoy me or would I find her funny?

BJ Rose She is rather annoying - not as endearing to me as she was when I was much younger, but I enjoyed the book in spite of that.

message 3: by Dina (last edited Jun 18, 2010 07:55PM) (new)

Dina Thanks, BJ.

message 4: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill I am slowly working my way through GH's books. I was going to read Frederica next but maybe I will read this one instead. I get a kick out of her characters. She usually has a character or two that is as ridiculous as Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice.

BJ Rose Then you will like this one, Bill. The scenes with the heroine's brother, Pelham, and his best friend/drinking buddy Pom, are definitely silly and ridiculous, and yet promote the story line.

seton I absolutely loathed Hoarie and Pelham and didnt think the way GH portrayed them was amusing or endearing at all. Rule was so droll; he deserved better.

message 7: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill Hi Seton. Such different opinions on this book. I will have to read it soon to get my own take on it. Bill

BJ Rose Not really so different, Bill. I enjoyed the book in spite of Horry's behavior, not because of it. So I agree with Seton there (except my feelings didn't reach the 'loathing' level!) I also agree, Seton, that Rule deserved better - the only thing that made sense in his actions was that he didn't want a Stepford-style wife, and he certainly got his wish there! I've always been appalled at the aspect of Victorian/Regency life that said that a young man had the right to drink and gamble away the family fortune and home, and the young woman had the obligation to marry for money to bail out the family that the young man put in peril.

All that said, I still enjoy the way Heyer tells a tale, whether or not I really like the heroine. I've often felt that GH was poking fun in her books at some of the out-of-kilter mores of the time.