David Dalglish's Reviews > The Night Angel Trilogy

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Jun 17, 2010

Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

There is something about Durzo Blint that is immensely appealing. Other characters came and went. The main character, Kylar Stern, alternated between cold-blooded killer, immature teen, and weepy pacifist. Yet Durzo was always Durzo, a cold-blood assassin (excuse me, *wetboy*) that was better than anyone in the art of killing. That he has a secret past is no surprise, but when the surprise is revealed in book two, it feels both immense and incredibly amusing.

The first book in the series starts off dark. There's child molestation, murder, and an overall feeling of despair and surrender to everything evil inside men's hearts. While some might not be prepared for how far the author goes, the setting is necessary for Kylar's development, as well at he redemptive themes that become far more prevalent in books two and three.

Despite Kylar's random mood swings, he was an overall enjoyable main character. Like Durzo, he is a killer at the top of his game. The special powers he inherits halfway through the first book are both over the top and yet consistently controlled. It may feel like the author is cheating, but at the same time, I know he's not. Don't read The Night Angel Trilogy expecting anything mundane. Mr. Weeks wants to kill gods, destroy cities, and have his characters play with artifacts older than entire civilizations. It gets a little overwhelming having ten different world-destroying creatures, weapons, and artifacts all being swapped, stolen, and revealed, but by the third book things calm down and start making sense.

Speaking of making sense, Mr. Weeks is not the best at introducing characters you don't know. There are plenty of times I'd be reading, start a new chapter, and then wonder if I had skipped a part somewhere along the line. Random people in random locations get thrown out often. Have faith in the author, though; they'll come around in time, and make perfect sense. MR. Weeks might not be subtle, but he's effective at not messing around.

Would I read more by Mr. Weeks? Most certainly. Other than a few odds and ends, this was a series after my own heart. And all because of Durzo. He's the star of the show whenever he makes his entrance, and by the end, you might find yourself wishing for another book dedicated solely to him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Angel Trilogy.

02/25 marked as: read

Jeromy You called it, I saw somewhere, maybe fantasticfiction.uk that Brent has Durzo's past life coming (or is it out already?) out of the closet and onto the bookshelf.

Fyi, I'll be finishing the first of Shadowdancer books tomarrow sometime. Wrote a review for it on Worldcat and here. :P

Craig Totally agree, Durzo is the polished product, while Kylar is still the teen trying to find himself. Sounds like theres a sequel int he making,however I wouldn't mind a prequel all about Durzo's exploits!