rivka's Reviews > The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place by E.L. Konigsburg

May 07, 08

bookshelves: young-adult, books-everyone-should-read, favorites
Recommended to rivka by: Lisa Vegan
Recommended for: teenagers & others who never quite fit in
Read in April, 2008

E.L. Konigsberg's books are always excellent, but this was even better than most. Clearly based in part on the real-life story of the Watts Towers, Konigsberg used them as a starting point and an inspiration, but the towers in Outcasts are in most ways distinct from their real-life counterparts (and the resolution of their fate is as well).

Jumping back and forth between the narrator's present (spending the summer with her eccentric uncles) and recent past (the few tortuous weeks she spent in summer camp), we see the parallels between the difficulty a teenager who is a little bit different has fitting in with her peers, and the difficulties her uncles are having fitting into a neighborhood that has changed around them.

And the solution to what seems an insoluble problem is nothing less than brilliant. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I'll have to move it up on my list. Have to find it first. Looking forward to when/if we can "jump" a book's place in order. ;-)