Brainycat's Reviews > Club Shadowlands

Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair

Jun 17, 10

bookshelves: read_in_2010, a-long-story, boring-and-forgettable-romance, in-a-time-close-to-mine, small-words-and-short-sentences
Recommended for: fans of BDSM, especially tops
Read on February 15, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1) was really good. The heroine slowly discovers her proclivity for being tied up and having wonderfully horrible things done to her, at the hands of the owner of an exclusive sex club catering to BDSM practitioners. It's been a while since I read it, so I apologize for not remembering any of the character's names.

Our heroine's car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, and she ends up at this exclusive mansion during Party Night. Naturally, she immediately falls into deep lust for the owner of the club, and her hormones help her overcome her fear even though her straightlaced self is in no way prepared for the sensual delights on display in the club.

Over the following weeks, the owner of the club proves himself to be a wise, kind and accomplished man with a need to dominate and discipline, and he provides the safety and comfort the heroine needs while she learns what her proclivities and limits are.

I haven't read the rest of the series yet; I'm a bit leery to start them. What made this book so hot was the way her Dom slowly took her from a "nice girl who doesn't do that sort of thing" to a willing and eager participant. I'm afraid that since that arc has been played out, the rest of them will be more romantic at the expense of the psychological give and take between master and submissive.

The sex was HOT and explicit; there are lots of club scenes that I really enjoyed. A lot of BDSM erotica is written for subs, and that sort of leaves people like me out in the cold. The way Cherise handled the relationships between different tops was superb. I think the relationships between tops are too often glossed over; like we we all have a static pecking order and respect everyone's place on it all the time. This is derived from the idea in a lot of BDSM erotica that tops are untouchable, unyielding uberhardasses 24/7. Cherise's tops are multidimensional characters, and for that alone I recommend this book.

Another important aspect of this book is that all types of body types and shades of skin are represented. In a perfect book, there would be more gender identities and sexualities represented, but hey... It's Cherise's book, not mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Club Shadowlands.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (last edited Jun 18, 2010 08:08PM) (new)

new_user Good points. It never even occurred to me to wonder if the books were as enjoyable to a top. I think it would be difficult to write from that perspective since doms have more of a distance from the goings-on, LOL.

MelissaB I agree, nice point. Do you think most of these books are geared only toward women subs? I think from what I have read that they may be. The only ones I know that are different are Joey Hill books like Natural Law which have female tops but I am not sure if these would appeal to a male top.