Rebecca Radnor's Reviews > The Clan of the Cave Bear

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

Having read the whole series.... book 1 ROCKED, book 2 was not bad... book 3 was cheesy.... book 4 was a bore, book 5 however seems to be getting back on track and is on par with book 2. Ms. Auel has this nasty habit of repeating everything so much that you have the feeling its to compensate for lack of inspiration. Lady, if we've gotten to book 5 all we need is a reminder (think flat heads) you don't have to tell us everything all over again, and DEFINITELY not more than once per book. That and between book 2 and this book, the sex scenes were coming on so hard and fast that you had the feeling it was because she couldn't think of anything better to write. Thankfully, while we do get the occasional sex scene in this book, we also get the "jondaler made love to ayla for all the rest of that night." rather than 15 pages of blow by grunt detail. Instead, in this book, Ms auel is at least ATTEMPTING to integrate detail reviews into the story line rather than simply dumping paragraphs from previous books on us yet again, and has begun developing some new characters... although the repetitive nature of some of those with previous characters is a little annoying.

Clearly, while a much better effort than her last two, this book is NOT on par with Clan of Cave Bear, although fans of Alya will be placated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clan of the Cave Bear.