Leigh's Reviews > All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins

F 50x66
Jun 17, 10

Read in June, 2010

Kristan Higgins has been on my auto buy list since I discovered her three years ago.

Her books make me laugh, and they make me cry. She not afraid to tread a little outside the basic romantic book boundary, tackling issues of infidelity, and confusion of the part of the hero or heroine about who is Mr or Mrs Right.

All I Ever Wanted is the story of Callie (Calliope-named for Homer's muse)and her quest to win her boss's love. Mark gave Callie her first kiss years ago, and since coming to work for him as the driving creative force she has not so secretly been in love with him. After a harrowing plane trip Mark and Callie celebrate life and living in an earthy way. However once they're back in their home state, Mark quickly extricate himself from any type of romantic relationship, saying it just not the right time. On Callie 30th birthday, he further twists the knife saying he has met someone (his biggest client's daughter) So begins Callie quest to get over Mark. One potential is Ian the new vet, but he is not interested in a relationship. However Callie and Ian continue to meet accidentally. Maybe the fates are throwing them together?

This book started off very rocky for me. And honestly if you can see Michelle Obama as a voice of relationship advise then you might not have the same problem. Quoting from the book "It was as if there were two Callies. . the smarter, more sensible self (I picture her as Michelle Obama) and the dopey in love part Betty Boop.) Both images brought me out the story every time they were mentioned. Ms. Kristan did the self talk (can you call it self talk when supposedly it is Michelle Obama?). She would do something stupid (and don't we all when we are suffering from unrequited love) and in her head Michelle Obama is giving advise. . .Don't do it Callie. . . If you have read Susan Elizabeth Phillip's books then you know the technique. (Fancy Pants, It Had to Be You, Honey Moon)

Then Ms. Kristin writes the heroine as saying things like this all through the book " I looked pretty smokin' if I did say so myself. Curvalicious, even. More like fertile J-Lo than Stringy Lindsay Lohan". Since this book was written in first person, it reminded me of Linda Howard's cheerleader book.

Then she has to introduce creepy Louis Pinser her mother's mortuarial assistant.

So I really struggled through the first 100 pages or so. I would start reading and Ms. Kristin wonderful storytelling would pull me into the story, and then bam. . .Here is Michelle Obama or Betty Boop giving advise, and I am pulled right out again. At one point I was almost ready to quit. But I told myself. . . you love her books. So I kept reading and finally something clicked in my brain and I was just able to ignore Betty Boop and Michelle Obama. Not that I still didn't feel like the heroine was over the top at times. . .

Ian the possible new love interest is very appealing and Mark . . well most of us have had a Mark in our lives. Charming, handsome and knows exactly when to say the right thing to continue to give us hope of a relationship.

The book had all the heartfelt emotions and the hilarious lol scenes that has made Ms. Higgins such a popular author. And the relationship building between the heroine and hero wouldn't have been better.

And when I read the closing scene I became tearful because it seemed so perfect.

This is a very difficult book to grade. The first part was an C- and the second was a strong B+. . It seems wrong to grade it an C - because there was so much going on that was right on target for me. But it wasn't a smooth read, so a B seems too high overall. . . my grade C+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Ever Wanted.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy I would have read this book if you didn't mention the Amazon, Michelle Obama . . .

Leigh I just don't want to read about political figures . . . It would have worked better for me if she had a self help personality do the self talk. . Betty Boop didn't work either. . .