Kate 's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Nov 26, 10

Read from November 08 to 10, 2010

MATCHED, by Allie Condie, was an interesting story about a society that is strictly controlled by the government. People are assigned jobs and spouses based on interests, genetic compatibility and tendencies. Cassia is a perfect teen citizen and she is not surprised when she is Matched with her best friend Xander. But in a society where mistakes are never made, a flicker of a face on her Matching screen flips her world upside down.

I liked this book but I felt there was too much predictability. I hate to compare it to another book but I felt there were so many similarities between this and The Giver (Lois Lowry). We have a society based on strict rules of population/disease control and someone gets behind the scenes and starts to question everything that was ever learned. But, along with the similarities we have some differences. Condie's book stuck out because she based the questions on love. Since Cassia was technically Matched to two boys, it seemed up to her to choose, right? Wrong. I enjoyed the twists and turns she created as Cassia got deeper and deeper into the mysteries of their society.

I liked the relationships that Cassia experienced with Xander and Ky. Xander is the perfect choice for her in this society but the mystery surrounding Ky would make anyone second guess themselves. I am interested to see how these relationships change as the series progresses.

Overall this book was a "like" not "love" for me. The predictability of the book weighed heavily on my shoulders while read. But, I am intrigued what will happen in the next book because of the massive cliffhanger Condie left us with, so hopefully that will make me change my mind about the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.