Chachic's Reviews > Magic Bleeds

Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: physical-owned-copies, favorites, would-love-to-reread, fictional-crushes, best-of-2010
Recommended for: urban fantasy fans
Read from July 02 to 03, 2010

Originally posted here.

Kate's adventures continue in this latest installment in the wonderful series created by husband and wife tandem Ilona Andrews. I already mentioned that Magic Strikes clinched the deal to make this series my favorite in the urban fantasy genre. Because of this, I had high expectations when I started to read Magic Bleeds. No worries though because it went beyond what I expected. It's pretty hard to go into details about the book without giving away spoilers. I can just say that Kate was her usual snarky and kick*ss self. She had to make some pretty though choices in this one. With her background (and we learn so much more about her family history), she comes with a lot of baggage and she can't make decisions based on just what she wants. I love where the authors decided to take the story, it really was time for Kate to make these big decisions. I'm also glad that there's a LOT of Curran in this one. ♥

Instead of giving away the story, I'd rather talk about how wonderful this book was. I had to catch up on lost sleep because of Magic Strikes so I decided to bring Magic Bleeds along on our company outing to the beach. I then proceeded to read during every available moment: under the sun while everyone else was swimming and on a shaded balcony overlooking the beach after lunch while everyone else was taking a nap. I wanted to read as much of the book as fast as I can yet at the same time, I wanted to savor every scene. As with the rest of the Kate Daniels books, there were several scenes in this book that made me smile and chuckle quietly to myself. There were scenes that me sigh and think "Aww how sweet!" and there were scenes that made me fear for Kate and her friends' safety. Magic Bleeds had everything - jampacked action, solid worldbuilding supported by the setting's history, lots of humor and a love-hate relationship between two fantastic individuals. Isn't this enough to convince you to read this series? :)

In the authors' website, there are snippets from Kate 5, here and here. I can't wait for this book to come out! I'm not sure when it'll happen though since there still isn't a title for it. There are also some snippets from Curran's point of view like this scene from Magic Strikes, when Curran caught up with Kate right before the Midnight Games and this scene at Bernard's in Magic Bleeds These snippets are great because the books are told from Kate's point of view so it's interesting to see inside Curran's head.

I still can't stop thinking about this book. In the meantime, I wonder where I can grab a copy of On the Edge ?
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bleeds.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Ilona Andrews
“He leaned his head to me, his neck so close to my lips, I felt the heat coming off his skin. His breath was warm against my ear. His voice was a ragged snarl. "I miss you."
This wasn't happening.
"I worry about you." He dipped his head and looked into my eyes. "I worry something stupid will happen and I won't be there and you'll be gone. I worry we won't ever get a chance and it's driving me out of my skull."
No, no, no, no.........
We stared at each other. The tiny space between us felt too hot. Muscles bulged on his naked frame. He looked feral.
Mad gold eyes stared into mine. "Do you miss me, Kate?"
I closed my eyes trying to shut him out. I could lie then we would be back to square one. Nothing would be resolved. I'd still be alone, hating him and wanting him.
He grabbed my shoulders and shook me once. "Do you miss me?"
I took the plunge. "Yes.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Bleeds

Ilona Andrews
“He bared his teeth in a happy feral grin. My own personal psycho.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Bleeds