Korynn's Reviews > All My Darling Daughters

All My Darling Daughters by Fumi Yoshinaga

Jun 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: manga

Five short stories featuring a mixture of the same characters with a theme of permanence. In the first story Yukiko is introduced as the beleaguered sullen daughter who puts up with Mari, her harsh no-nonsense mother, until she marries a much younger man, Ken. In the second story, we are introduced to Kiyo, a friend of Ken's, who is having a bit of a dilemma with a female student. The third story is about Sayako, a friend of Yukiko's who is considering an arranged marriage. The fourth story begins with Yukiko trying to remember her best friends from middle school, with the narration then settling on Yuko telling about the friendship that continued after Yukiko left between Yuko and Kisaragi. The last story is about Mari's relationship with Tsuyuki, Yukiko's grandmother. Each story takes a single idea that each character takes for granted: Yukiko thinks her mother will always take her for granted. Mari persists in believing that she is ugly and that her mother hates her. Sayako is sure she will understand what romantic love is in time. Kiyo in under the impression he has no choice in his dilemma. Yuko was under the impression that Kisaragi was the type of strong girl that could not be wounded. These ideas carry the story until within each story there is a revelation that completely changes the view of the character 180 degrees and causes them to understand a little more of the world and changes themselves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All My Darling Daughters.