Keri's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

May 24, 12

Read from June 28 to July 07, 2010

I fear I have no romantic bone in my body.

Okay, let me amend that. I do, just not one when it comes to Anna. Kitty and Levin? Yes. Adorable and I found myself rooting the whole time. Anna? No.

Let me start from the beginning though: I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. I haven't read Anna Karenina, so I can't compare how close it was to the original, but this one I did enjoy.

A reader can tell where Tolstoy's words shine through. They can tell where Winters placed robots (and that's not all, ladies and gents). And it all seems to flow together rather well. The twists at the ending, which I have spent wondering how they related to the original work and if they have anything to relate to, were somewhat surprising. I didn't have any idea of one of them until shortly before it was revealed, so that gave me a pleasant surprise.

I enjoyed the story, following the downward spiral of Russian life, and of the life of Anna and the upward spiral of others. The idea of UnConSciya combined with the Honored Guests was interesting, if not somewhat easy to figure out. It's the type of sci-fi twist that could entertain both sci-fi readers and classics readers alike.

The only downside that made me want to throw the book (and, as my boyfriend pointed out, indicated that I must enjoy it if I cared about the characters so much) was Anna. I just hated the title character with a passion that almost made me put down the book. She's the most self-centered, wishy-washy person I've ever read about. She gets what she wants with little regard to her husband (who I really felt rather bad for the entire novel, and not angry even if he was "evil"), her son (who she suddenly goes, "Oh my! I want to see him"), her daughter (What happened to her?!) and all the friends and family that went out of their way to help her. The only thing she thought about was herself and getting her own way, as evidenced by the way her story ends.

Regardless, I'm still recommending this to people. Sometimes, I wonder if the books like this are encouraging people to read the original source material. It certainly brings the idea to people who would be less-than-eager, I think. Because I assure you, I'm going to pick up Anna Karenina and see if she's just as annoying originally than she is here.

(Disclaimer: I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.

06/28/2010 page 1
0.0% "Reading for Review"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lindsay I agree! I just finished this and I LOVED the book (particularly Kitty and Levin) but can't stand Anna. What a selfish twat. I listened to the book via Audible, and when the Honored Guest attacked Anna, I started literally cheering for it to eat her.