Corinne's Reviews > Much Ado About Nothing

Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare

Jun 16, 10

Read in June, 2010

How many 17th century dramatic works can make you laugh out loud with mirth? Not many I'd guess, but I tell you what, this is one of them. It's the story of Benedick and Beatrice, both of whom are adamantly anti-marriage, both experts of the witty retort and whom for all intents and purposes, loathe each other.

That Shakespeare, though, of course has a trick up his sleeve and this time, Benedick and Beatrice's friends conspire to convince each one that the other is desperately in love with them. OH the hilarity of the interactions between these two that are "too wise to woo peaceably."

This is just one of the plots, the other main one is less humorous - namely Beatrice's cousin who is falsely accused of infidelity and the following tumult resolves with an interesting twist. There are villains and inane constables, empty graves and masked dancing. It's a story of love and forgiveness (or not), friendship and betrayal.

If you've never read a Shakespeare but wanted to give it a shot, this would be a great one to start with - and, as a recommendation, watch the Kenneth Branagh movie along with it. Really, you should.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Much Ado About Nothing.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica LOL I love the Brnagh version - him and Emma Thompson as Beatrice are such a hoot! He has the perfect delivery for this play.

message 2: by julia (new)

julia Ah, the original 'bicker until they fall in love' romantic comedy! Haven't actually read the play, but I do love to watch it :)

message 1: by Janene (new)

Janene amen, you. Is that ever a great movie! Good to hear that reading it is fine too. I like reading your reviews. You AMAZE me! (I don't know whose voice I hear more, Denzel's or Kath's) :o)