Lorraine Bartlett's Reviews > Dun Lady's Jess

Dun Lady's Jess by Doranna Durgin

Jun 16, 10

Read in July, 2008

Apart from the Harry Potter books, I've read few fantasy novels. My one exception: the books of my friend Doranna Durgin. Of course, as she's been my friend for over 20 years, you can't expect me to be wholly objective in a review. So I'll just tell you what I like about her very first published book, Dun Lady's Jess, which has been reissued in a beautiful new edition by Canadian publisher Red Deer Press.

Beautiful dun mare Lady, and her rider, Cary, are running for their lives when Cary invokes a spell that sends them hurtling to an alternate reality--a reality that does not include magic. Not only that, but Lady has been transformed into a human woman.

She's found by Eric, a kind-hearted environmentalist, and his friend Dayna. They quickly realize that Lady is in a state of mental confusion. Wary about turning her into the authorities, they take her to Dayna's home to try to figure out what to do next.

They meet up with their friends Jaime, who owns a horse training facility, and her brother Mark. And when Carey shows up--that's when the fun begins.

This book has everything I look for in great storytelling: endearing friendships, action, adventure; suspense, thrills and fun. I'm not kidding when I say it'll make you laugh and cry.

There's a reason this book won the Compton Crook Award, and it's hard to believe this could be someone's first book because Doranna got everything right. The characterization, the action, and most importantly, the mindset of Dun Lady's Jess--a horse changed by magic into a woman.

Read it. You'll love it, too.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dun Lady's Jess.