willaful's Reviews > The Innocent's Surrender

The Innocent's Surrender by Sara Craven

Jun 16, 10

bookshelves: bye, old-skool
Read from June 15 to 16, 2010, read count: 1

I'd heard a lot of negative comments about this book before reading it, but thought perhaps the people condemning it were newbies to category romance horrors and exaggerating how awful it is. No, there really is a rape by the "hero" in this one, and a particularly cold-blooded rape, at that. What can seem relatively harmless in an intense, chock-full-of-crazy book from the seventies is a lot nastier when it's presented today, in a completely passionless manner.

I'm honestly not sure why I didn't throw this at the wall, but I did find the story kind of interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocent's Surrender.

06/16/2010 page 100

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by seton (new) - added it

seton I find a lot of Craven stories creepy but this was one of the creepiest. She has had plenty of rapes in her books but the precise, prurient way it was written made it more horrifying than if it had been a violent, forceful rape actually. That seemed to go over most readers' heads.

willaful Yes, totally. And I'm even more creeped out by all the people who seem to think any scenario in which the woman is not fighting tooth and nail can't be rape.

message 3: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read I'm surprised a publisher would reprint one in this day and age with rape in it.

willaful Controversy sells books. :-\

message 5: by seton (new) - added it

seton I think it's more like u cant teach an old dog new tricks. The author has been writing since the 70s and the last time the internet was up in arms over rape in a HP, it was one of her bks yet again - The Forced Bride.

Also, u have to remember that the whole world reads these bks, including places like India where for yrs it was okay to show rapes in Indian films but KISSING was strictly taboo.

sbf20112011 LOL re "intense, chock-full-of-crazy book from the seventies"