Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 05, 11

Read from January 01 to 05, 2011

This review deserves a soundtrack (cuz I said so)

(for my out of country friends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ECto... )

As I write this review I am wearing a brown, white, and black striped Faded Glory flannel shirt, underneath is a blue "How to Train your Dragon" t-shirt that I picked up in the boys department at Wal-mart. My jeans are ripped up and baggy, my socks are grey, and my shoes are 10 year old Chuck Taylors with pink and white laces that I put in myself. My accessories are five piercing throughout my body along with a size 4.5 white gold wedding band.

You might ask your: WHy on earth do I need to know all that?!!

That's exactly how I took this book. It was one gigantic fashion show, wardrobe change, trip to Claire's that just soooo wasn't in my comfort zone. I went to school with girlies like that. They normally aren't the nicest people if you live in the South (like I do and so does Mac)

I had a hard time connecting with the characters. I don't think we got to know Barrons.... like at all. I had no idea what to make him sound like in my head.... and when he spoke it was just WRONG. I kept thinking he was all upper-class Euro metro sexual until he started cussing up a storm. He character seemed to clash with what was said about him and how he worded things.

Fiona seemed like she should have been the "I'll take no lip from you" kind of woman until she spoke and she was all mousey around Barrons. Why is she afraid of him? Beats me.

And Mac... well, I just didn't like her. I wanted to... but she drove me nuts.

I'm also very confused how on earth this book is considered Romance (it says that on the spine of my book). There was a maybe maybe kiss, a predator thing groping itself, and a fey prince getting his kicks with some pearls. Maybe the rest of the series is more romantic?

It wasn't a bad book.... and it actually makes me a bit sad that I didn't enjoy it as much as my friends.... it just wasn't for me. I guess I'm too much a redneck to dig it ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

01/02/2011 page 46
13.0% "I was unable to read on New Years Day. Too much stuff to do...and oh yeah, my eyes were so tired! But come Monday I shall be back on the ball :)"
01/02/2011 page 100
29.0% "Slow and steady wins the race. I should be back in the swing of things tomorrow. It's been a spring cleaning weekend and winter just started."
01/03/2011 page 150
43.0% "I don't really like Mac. Is this normal? I can't stand the fact that we have to know every single thing she's wearing. I fear that I might be part of the minority group that doesn't dig this series." 4 comments
01/04/2011 page 182
52.0% "I just met V'lane who reminds me of Ash in the Iron King series. Maybe I'm too simple but I think I dig the Iron King more. I can see how people would love this series but right now I just want to smack Mac and her shiny silver shoes lolz. Maybe the ending will pull me in :)" 12 comments
01/04/2011 page 224
64.0% "Husband: Is that a sexy book? -- Me: It says it is but I haven't found any parts yet. The chick just keeps talking about her clothes. -- Husband: How do I find a sexy part? (takes book and flips through) -- Me: Go near the last 100 pages at the end of chapters. -- Husband: no, no, no (flip flip flip). WOW! You weren't kidding about the clothes (reads another line about silver sandles)" 1 comment
01/05/2011 page 226
65.0% "Adopted? that question is gonna me awkward."
01/05/2011 page 226
65.0% "Adopted? That question is gonna be awkward"
01/05/2011 page 300
86.0% "and into the darkness we go"
01/05/2011 page 332
95.0% "What? Uhh.... there better be more because I think it just went all black out on us" 14 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Did you join the Fever Water Cooler group?

Greta is Erikasbuddy nahs... cuz I won't be able to read them all one after the other (I only have the first one at the moment). I am sooo ready for my eyes to get UNTIRED so I can read more, though lolz!! dang moon pie drop hahas

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Is that a drink?

Greta is Erikasbuddy no no no!!!

You gues don't have Moon Pies in Canada?

Moon SHINE is the drink ;) That's like umms... homemade whisky (and illegal)

Moon Pies are like a cookie cake dipped in chocolate. (or other cake flavors) with whipped cream in the middle.

Here's a youtube video explaining it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7poo5... <-- makes me laugh!! Loves it!!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Oh yes, we talked about this before. Here, they are called Mae Wests or Jo Louis. Don't ask why, we never buy them anyway. You made a drink out of them?

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Greta, you need to read the next book. Mac 2.0 is in it. You will like her way way more.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I plan on giving it another shot ;) I just didn't diggles this one :) (and I soo wanted to because I'm uber jelous of all the squee-ing everyone does with this series)

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I actually liked her in the first book. You get to see a real development of character and a growth in maturity with Mac. This book takes place in July. The beginning of the third book takes us into October. In 3 months, the change in her is incredible. By the 4th book, she is Mac 4.0 and completely different. Plus some of your broody highlanders get mentioned/make an appearance. You have to look out for those guys.

Ronyell Great review! I wondered why this book was considered a romance novel too since there was barely any romance in this book, but maybe there will be more in the future books!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Ronyell wrote: "Great review! I wondered why this book was considered a romance novel too since there was barely any romance in this book, but maybe there will be more in the future books!"

Thanks Ronyell!!! I don't know. AH would totally know if there was more romance :)

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH This series is more UF than PNR. The Highlander series is more PNR with a happily ever after.

Greta is Erikasbuddy EEEEEEEE!! And that be why they are better :) lolz

Ronyell AH wrote: "This series is more UF than PNR. The Highlander series is more PNR with a happily ever after."

How are Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series?

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Between books 4-7 they are pretty good and they serve as a background to the Fever series. You can pretty much start reading them at book 4. They are formulaic - big beefy highlander (well endowed of course), teeny, tiny virgin, some time travel, a little fae mischief, and voila a story. They're fun.

Ronyell AH wrote: "Between books 4-7 they are pretty good and they serve as a background to the Fever series. You can pretty much start reading them at book 4. They are formulaic - big beefy highlander (well endowed ..."

Thanks! I'll have to add those to my TBR shelf!

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Come to think of it, I never did read book 2 in that series. It was never in at the library.

Regina AH wrote: "Come to think of it, I never did read book 2 in that series. It was never in at the library."

You are not missing anything. It was not as bad as #1, but it had absolutely nothing at all to do with the fever world (where as 1 and 3 sort of touched on it).

message 19: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I didn't lose sleep over it, lol.

Regina Well that is a relief! :) LOL. KMM has grown as a writer since her first HL and her first Fever book (although I loved Darkfever, but I do understand it isn't for everyone).

I would for her to publish another HL book.