Kristensilvermoore's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

U_50x66
Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: mysteries
Read in October, 2011

The first hundred pages were a pretty difficult read for me. There were a lot of overly detailed descriptions and medieval monks philosophizing. If it weren't for the fact that my husband recommended the book to me, I may have thrown in the towel! That said, I really started getting into the book after that. It may be sad to say, but the book really started to pick up once more people started dying! By the middle of the book, I found myself very emotionally invested in the story, which is the sign of a good book to me. By the end of the book, I was truly immersed in the narrative and interested in the ideas that make up the foundation of the novel. In the end, this novel is a historical murder mystery, but it is also much more than that. Because it takes place in a monastery, a location which was a primary center of learning in medieval times, this novel is essentially an exploration of medieval thought, including religion, philosophy, and linguistics. If you don't like philosophy, don't read this book! For much of the book, I read with more of an interest in the mystery than the philosophy, but by the end, they were so intertwined, it was impossible to disentangle them. Now I feel like going back to re-read those first hundred pages!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.