Eileen Granfors's Reviews > The Year of the Flood

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: animals, families, highly-unusual, medical-issues, science-fiction
Read from June 16 to 19, 2010

Margaret Atwood hits humanity where it hurts--in the reality of the world we live in. She comes fully armed with her fury of wit, brash humor, and word play.

"The Year of the Flood" shows us humanity's last gasp for life after our animals have gone extinct and new animals have been created through gene splicing. It's the pious Gardeners against the faceless Multicorporations.

But that only begins to tell the story of man's work to wreck our Earth: we also have pollution of the air, the water, the seas, and a viral plague that hits mankind. The bees, our friends, are disappearing.

The resonance of Atwood's vision of "the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico" is now coming alarmingly and sickeningly true in June, 2010.

The characters range from the fully pious Gardeners (and some wannabes), the Adams and the Eves, who cherish all life and all recycling, to the sex shop girls of the Scales and Tales, the suburban moms and "pleebrats" with their logo golf shirts, and the faceless, remorseless corporate robots.

I found this book both frightening, funny (in a bleakly humored way) and a clear call to arms to love the Earth and quit fouling our own and only home. As the Gardeners pray ask towards the end, "Would God make us a second Earth? Why would He?" (paraphrased)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Flood.