Dija's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: 2011, surprisingly-good, wow, ya, authors-i-stalk, read-in-2012, my-reviews, first-in-series
Read from February 27 to 28, 2012

So a day before the release of Pandemonium, I finally get around to reading Delirium. And after that devastating ending, my relief knows no bounds.

I don't know how you all survived the past year without raiding Oliver's home and/or holding her publisher at gunpoint for an ARC, but I'm so glad I don't have to prove my non-existent patience with this one, because frankly, I about died reading that last chapter.

Honestly, I hated Lena for most of the book. She's so damn weak and I couldn't help but think that Hana would have been a much better heroine. I still partially feel that way, because Lena's character doesn't really fit in with the whole rebellion scenario, but I guess that's the entire point. I really do hope Lena grows a backbone in Pandemonium though, one on her own, without the help of Alex and Hana.

And Alex...I like to think of him as an alternate version of Kent from Before I Fall. I loved the latter so so much, but there wasn't enough of him in BIF, so I liked pretending Alex was actually Kent in spirit. I'm deluded, I know.

And like I felt with Lena, I didn't geniunely like Alex. He's great as far as heroes go, but a little too perfect. I would have continued like that for the rest of the series, I believe, had the ending not happened the way it did. But since it did happen that way, it made me view the guy as more than just some tasty fictional candy. I know in my head that (view spoiler) but my heart still cries over the possibility.

Off to read Pandemonium now. Here's praying there won't be a love triangle and that (view spoiler)

Favorite quotes:
Sometimes I feel like if you just watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you—sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever.

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
—From “i carry your heart with me"

I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.

3.5/5 stars

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

02/27/2012 page 121
27.0% "What is up with all these teenage heroines blowing up whenever anybody tells them something they're too much of a coward to admit? Chill, girl. It's not that outrageous."
02/27/2012 page 269
61.0% "HA! I so knew that'd happen the minute Alex showed up. I mean, you can't have a dystopian without a couple of rebellious teens, right? Preferably as the main characters."
02/28/2012 page 369
84.0% "Ooooh, unexpected development! Finally!"
02/28/2012 page 441
100.0% "NOOO!!! You can't end it like that!! T_T"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catarina I hated the end. But it's a good book though

Reem the end made me totalt blank and sobby.i didnt want sexy alex to die!

Anne I hated Lena throughout the book for being shortsighted, weak and bland.