Tara Gelsomino's Reviews > Compromised

Compromised by Kate Noble

Jun 16, 10

It's been a long time since I read a new romance novel, esp. a historical romance. But I read a fantastic review of another book by this author and managed to get this one first, so I thought I'd give this one a try. It was enjoyable enough, though not mind-blowing or anything. It's very Julia Quinn-like in style and tone, right down to the nosy, sharp-tongued matriarch who takes a shine to the heroine. Gail is like most Regency heroines modeled after Elizabeth Bennett--clever and witty and unenamored by society/the ton, etc. And Max the rogue is like most rogues, only deigning to marry for some contrived reason related to having Daddy issues. I did enjoy though how, even while working with several unwieldy contrivances: the hero nobly, albeit foolishly agrees to marry the heroine's sister under the merest hint that someone may assume he compromised her in a garden. They share a kiss but the passion is fleeting when they realize they have nothing in common and Max gets on far better with the infuriating but clever Gail.

I did like the author's treatment of the actual progression of Max and Gail's relationship and the resolution of the tale, but overall I didn't love this one. I will however try Revealed as I have that one now and there are some elements of that plot/relationship that sound like I will enjoy them a bit more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compromised.