Candice Beever's Reviews > The Metamorphosis and Other Stories

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka

Jun 24, 2010

liked it
Read in June, 2010

This is the second time I've read The Metamorphosis, both times for class. The first was just over a year ago for German 101b, since the story was originally written in German and the second was today for English 204 (Long title: Literary Perspectives on the Modern World).

I've got to say that this read through was much more enlightening. In a nutshell, it's the story of a guy, Gregor, turning into a bug. Yeah, a bug. It's absurd and funny and incredibly tragic all at the same time. But more than a series of events, it's more the study of the family, their relationships (both before and after the metamorphosis), and the effects it has on them.

I remember the first time I read it feeling really sorry for Gregor. This second time, I found the entire story to be, almost, a study in stupidity and had very little sympathy for any of them. I view the story more as a morality tale. In the same way no one wants to be "that guy", no one wants to be this family.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Metamorphosis and Other Stories.

message 1: by Shawna (new)

Shawna I had that same reaction when I reread Chopin's "The Awakening." The first time I was sympathetic to Edna, the second time I thought she was a vapid, spoiled woman who lived in utter luxury who got what she deserved.