Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > Jesus: The Cold Case

Jesus by Bryan Bruce

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: religion-and-spirituality, home-library
Read from June 16 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy

Any evangelical reading this will have a fit, and conservatives quite possibly likewise, but what a well-written and thoroughly researched book. I do so enjoy a book that entertains by its style.

Wikipedia lists some 30 documentaries made by the author of this book, and links to the NZ Film Archive, so his credentials there are well established. This book is written as an investigation, and the chapter headings take us through the order of this. Here are some examples:
The deceased's background
Contaminated evidence
Local knowledge

The author doesn't say why he decides to investigate this "cold case", and doesn't give any indication of his own beliefs. I appreciate this. He doesn't appear to have anything invested in the outcome - unlike various anti-Christian authors who seem gleeful in their "proof" that the Bible has got it wrong (and come across as narrow-minded in their atheism as the fundamentalists are in their literalism), Bruce simply states the facts (as he finds them). He makes some excellent points.

His conclusions about the beginnings of anti-Semitism aren't new, but we need to keep hearing this. Another book I found excellent on this subject is 'Beyond Contempt: Removing Anti-Jewishness from Christian Worship' by Tony Stroobant.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus.