Sarah's Reviews > As You Wish

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

Nov 18, 14

Recommended for: Almost Anyone
Read on June 25, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As You Wish.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Jackson Pearce
“what did you think would happen—best case? She’ll forget about you when you return to Caliban, you know that. Or do you think she won’t wish, that you can stay here with her? That for the rest of her life, she’ll put you above getting whatever she wishes for? Even better—that for the rest of her life, she won’t slip up and say something like ‘I wish it would stop raining’? You can’t win this. In the end, you’ll be in Caliban. She’ll forget you. And whatever ‘friendship’ you think you have will be gone. Relationships are not for immortals. A bird and a fish may long for each other, but where could they live?”

Jackson Pearce
“I think we’re always looking for new pieces,” Viola says quietly.

What?

She continues, “I was looking for Lawrence, then for something to replace Lawrence, then for Aaron… maybe that’s the real truth about being broken. We’re always whole, we’re just looking to add on to ourselves, to be more whole. And then when a piece leaves, it’s broken away. But we aren’t left any less whole than we were to begin with…”

“But feeling broken—” I begin, the words tight in my throat. I’m grateful that Viola cuts me off.

“Is horrible. Painful,” she finishes. “But then, when you aren’t expecting it, new pieces appear and suddenly…they’re attached.” Her eyes rise to meet mine. “And you end up more whole than you were before.”

Jackson Pearce
“She’s forgotten me. It’s over. I don’t want to see her again, and now I’ll have to. I won’t be able to help it. I’ll have to sit back and just watch her…live. Without me.”

The ifrit shrugs. “Then I overestimated your feelings for her.”

My jaw drops. “How dare you? Because I don’t want to see that she’s forgotten me?”

"No. Because nothing is really ever gone or forgotten. If she’s a piece of you, and you of her, then memory is merely an obstacle—our power covers the memory, it doesn’t erase it. And I should think, at least based on what I saw in your eyes last night, that it’s an obstacle worth going up against.”

Jackson Pearce
“I became an ifrit to save the lives of my fellow jinn. What kind of life saver would I be if I let you sit here and wither away in paradise?”

Just an obstacle. Just an obstacle.

I meet the ifrit’s eyes. “What happened to all your talk about birds and fish having nowhere to live?”

The ifrit shrugs. “I suggest you start holding your breath, my friend,” he says, then pushes through the hearing room doors.”

Jackson Pearce
“Mortals always want something more- they wish for money, but what they're really after is to be carefree. Power when what they really want is control. Beauty when they want love. Sometimes they know it, sometimes they don't”

06/25/2010 page 240
79.0% "I lovelovelove Jinn!!!"
show 1 hidden update…