Stacey Chancellor's Reviews > Fever Dream

Fever Dream by Douglas Preston

Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: read-do-not-own
Read from June 15 to 17, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I was very excited to read this novel after how great of a novel Cemetary Dance was. They have really cranked their writing up a few notches lately and the idea of Pendergast trying to find out whom murdered his wife (he thought her death was an accident).

The result was kind of am mixed bag. From a character point of view Pendergast was his usual awesome. The added benefit of getting to see him lose his cool because what he was going through was too personal was interesting as hell. Normally he is very cool and does not let things affect him. But his wife being murdered? And getting to see how it happened? Wow. As for D’Agosta, I have always liked him but he does seem like a sidekick for Prendergast sometimes. As a NYC detective, he has a lot of street smarts and is a great asset, but Pendergast is such an intelligent man, it just feels off sometimes. The added addition of Laura Hayward with a more prominent role again wax mixed. It is fun to see how exasperated she gets with the way Pendergast does things, but she doesn’t really bring much more to the book than that.

The plot was ok, but considering it was dealing with the death of Pendergast’s wife, I guess I expected more. The beginning was very interesting to see a different side of Pendergast, as he was married and before his life changed. But after the original coolness of how she died and what happened after that, the mystery aspect of the book never really took off.

The threat of someone dying is really pushing these novels in a new direction. I happen to like that in my novels so you don’t always think everyone can get out of any situation.

Best thing about book. Getting to see how the discovery that Pendergast’s wife was actually murdered was fun.

Worst thing about book. The actual mystery was not as well done as previous novels.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Dream.

06/16/2010 page 392

LaDonna I agree with you.Thanks for a great review.

Lolo Engelman question. This was my first read and I am not sure about the tie in with the girl who killed her child on the ship. Seems like it did not get resolved or did I miss something?Can you shed any light on this