Louise's Reviews > Assassin's Quest

Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb

Jun 22, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, epic
Read from June 15 to 22, 2010

Even though I'm a fan of the fantasy genre, every time I see a dragon on a book cover, I cringe and want to run away. But since I already read the first two books in this series, I felt I should read the concluding third book, despite the dragon on the cover.

There was so much build up from the cliffhanger ending of the second book in this series and then the long trek to the ultimate showdown at the end of this book that I can't think of a way that the showdown doesn't end up being disappointing, but disappointing it was. There was just too much hype.

In cases like this, I think, "Well, the fun part was the journey to the end" but that doesn't work here either because the journey was agonizingly slow. The first half of the book had me cringing at the stupid decisions Fitz kept making. I wished that he would just man-up like I knew he would eventually would.

I was also disappointed at the lack of Burrich and Chade in this book. They were some of the best characters in the last, but they seemed to have been delegated to the background here. Fitz's use of the skill as a plot device to show what was going on elsewhere also got on my nerves because he was just an observer and couldn't really act, so I didn't really care about those scenes.

The best thing about this book, however, is Nighteyes. The snarky wolf really became a likable character and I was dreading anything bad happening to him.

I think the main problem I have with Assassin's Quest is the pacing. The beginning is slow. The long trek toward the ending is slow. And then when you get to the end, everything just comes crashing at you and everything about the Red Ships get resolved in just a few paragraphs. Despite those problems, I still couldn't put this book down till I was done with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Quest.

06/17/2010 page 100
13.0% "Aw, Nighteyes is one of my favorite characters."
65.0% "Man, the twists never stop coming."
90.0% "Oi, I'm waiting for SOMETHING to happen already."

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Cota Thats funny, Anytime I see a dragon on the cover I have to read it.

Mike Mueller Agreed on all points. I also hoped more would come of the (view spoiler) that was built up so much. But somehow I still found this to be a cathartic ending, and it managed to quell my slight distaste for the way book two went down.