Debbie's Reviews > Warriors

Warriors by George R.R. Martin

Jun 28, 10

Read from June 15 to 29, 2010

I got this book from the library so I could read 'The Custom of the Army' by Diana Gabaldon, a new Lord John story. Not being a big fan of short stories or anthologies I hadn't intended to read anything else in it but curiosity got the better of me and I ended up thoroughly enjoying the experience.

First, 'The Custom of the Army'. Diana Gabaldon is back to her best with this story. A very entertaining interlude with the wonderful Lord John Grey. Most of the action takes place in Canada during the Siege of Quebec. This battle is referred to in An Echo in the Bone so it was great to be able to read about it first hand. We also get to spend time with some minor characters from Diana Gabaldon's 'Outlander' series - Jamie's cousin Simon Fraser, Sergeant Cutter, Lord John's Indian cook Manoke and Denny Hunter's surgeon uncle John Hunter. We are introduced to a half blood Indian called John Cinnamon who I'm definitely going to look out for in future books. The story starts with a wonderful scene at an electric eel party where Lord John gets into all sorts of trouble. A very enjoyable story.

As for the rest of the book, I think I have changed my opinion of anthologies. What a great way to sample the writing of a number of authors. All the stories in this book are new and although the common theme is 'Warriors', the interpretation of 'warrior' is as diverse as the writing.

The stories I enjoyed the most and authors I will seek out:
Clean Slate by Lawrence Block
Solderin' by Joe R. Lansdale
The Pit by James Rollins
Out of the Dark by David Weber
The Scroll by David Ball
The Mystery Knight: A Tale of Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin

The stories I enjoyed a lot and authors I would like to read more of:
Forever Bound by Joe Haldeman
And Ministers of Grace by Tad Williams
Dirae by Peter S. Beagle
Seven Years from Home by Naomi Novik
The Girls from Avenger by Carrie Vaughan
Ancient Ways by S.M. Stirling
Ninieslando by Howard Waldrop
My Name is Legion by David Morrell

Stories that were enjoyable enough but not good enough to want to read more by the authors:
The King of Norway by Cecilia Holland
The Triumph by Robin Hobb
Recidivist by Gardner Dozois

Stories I didn't even bother reading:
The Eagle and the Rabbit by Steven Saylor
Defenders of the Frontier by Robert Silverberg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warriors.