Diana's Reviews > My Enemy's Cradle

My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young

F_50x66
Jun 15, 10

Read in May, 2010

This novel has the most irritating protagonist I’ve ever encountered in fiction. Completely self-absorbed, oblivious to what’s happening around her in Nazi-occupied Holland, utterly unconcerned with anyone’s feelings but her own…God, what a useless wench. The only reason I kept on reading was that it concerned the mysterious Lebensborn program during World War II. Little is known about it, and that little is still not talked about very much. It concerns illicit sex and unmarried motherhood, both frowned on in the 1940s, even in wartime Germany.

I also hated the author's precious writing style. She kept on about the sunlight “spilling.” Sunlight does not spill: liquid spills. Neither does sunlight “pool.” By the end of the book, trees were "spilling" down the cliff. Give me a break! At least she had the grace to write in the past tense. I abhor novels written in the present tense and usually refuse to read them.

I'd recommend this book only to those who have an abiding interest in the Lebensborn program and are willing to read a fictional account of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Enemy's Cradle.