Jan C's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

May 02, 11

bookshelves: canada, mystery, 2011
Read from February 16 to May 02, 2011

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - Louise Penny is one of those authors who just seems to keep getting better.

Okay, she left a few loose ends at the end of The Brutal Telling. She had one character being sent to jail for murder and probably theft. But, it turns out that Inspector Gamache may not have actually believed that. Here, he sends Jean-Guy, his ADC so to speak, back to Three Pines to see if maybe he can find out anything else about who might have killed the Hermit.

Much of this book is told in flashback and multiple points of view. This is an advancement in Penny’s writing style. It turns out that the unit was involved in some kind of terrorist threat. And good old agent Nicole makes a reappearance.

A lot of this book takes place in old Quebec City and in a place called the Literary and Historical Society. As in most of her books, there is a focus on the French vs. the Anglos. Well, apparently in Quebec City it is a little more pronounced than in some other parts, even in Quebec. This Society is like a little lone island of Anglos in a sea of Francophones. And the Anglos feel like it is shrinking.

I really enjoyed this book. Even though I read it on the Kindle it kept me turning the page.

"Je me souviens, thought Gamache. That was the problem. Always the problem. I remember. Everything.”

“He was like an addict before a fix. Book freaks are like that”.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.