Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)'s Reviews > Flowers from the Storm

Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

2082345
This would have been five stars, if not for Maddie and her obsession with her religion. She started out more open minded, then became less so, which I found strange, since she was supposedly growing more in love with Christian the farther along in the book. Sometimes she's also a little too mean for my liking...I just felt so bad for Christian, I wanted to protect him and put him in this little bubble of safety. I seriously felt his pain as if it were my own.

This is one the most UNIQUE romance novels I've ever read (if not in the world). Which I really liked. I was skeptical at first, because I thought it might be too depressing, and I have to admit, there were points I was crying and wishing I could jump into the book, but I got over it. I know Christian wasn't the most admirable of men before his stroke, but honestly, seeing him struggle with simple speech made me just LOVE him. I've never in my life wanted to give someone a big reassuring hug so much in my life, since no in the book was going to do it for me--and never did.

I loved Christian's two friends and how they were willing to do anything to protect him. That really makes a book for me. I don't like when either the hero/heroine has no real friends or family, other than his/her partner, so I was happy about this. And I loved his dogs too. I always love a guy who likes dogs.

The ending made me want to give Maddie a punch or twelve. I understand that things were different back then, and that her whole life was about her religion, but...I still couldn't help but believe that love should be more important, that the man she loved should be more important, because that's how I would feel about it. It worked out well in the end, when both of them realized (in a matter of two pages) that they love each other and that they need to treat each other better...I think the ending could have been better, but we got the epilogue, so I was satisfied.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers from the Storm.

06/25 marked as: read

Catherine You're right, this was one of the most unique romances I've ever read. It was so moving. I struggled with having patience with Maddie too. It was really hard for me to understand her. Like at the end when she was going to read that letter... I was right there with Christian when he couldn't understand how she could look at their love that way.

What you said about Christian's original character - sometimes the best men are forged in a crucible. He became a man anyone would envy Maddie for.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) That's definitely true. I really loved the man he became.

And about the scene where she was going to read that letter...my eyes almost fell out of my head! I wanted so badly to shake her and tell her there's nothing wrong with loving a good man!

Catherine Me too! I wanted to force her to understand that her passion for her husband was not a dirty thing. I felt so bad for him when he had to make that speech. You know how degrading it was for him to struggle like that in front of everyone! But he did it for her because he couldn't stand for them to be apart. They belonged together. So sad.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) I know! And seeing him struggle like than in front of everyone just made me love him even MORE. I was so relieved when he finally got his speech back--even if he still wasn't back to how he used to be. I'm so glad such a horrible incident turned out for the better in the end.

message 5: by Catherine (last edited Aug 15, 2010 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine Me too. I felt so bad for him when he would lose control and go into those rages. He was so frustrated, he didn't mean to scare anyone. I also was appalled at the condition that the mental institutions were. How horrible people must have suffered back then. You know they weren't all mad, they were just trapped there.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Oh, I know! They used to just throw people into those places when they didn't know what was wrong with them. And the treatments were AWFUL. And not even the people that actually WERE mad should have had to deal with what they did. I was so happy when Christian pushed that horrible man into the tub of ice--though he deserved much worse...hmm

Catherine Totally agree!

Donna I just finished this book and happy to see your review. I also struggled with the character of Maddie. But I loved the Duke and his story made the book for me!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Same here, Donna. I couldn't get past the heroine, really. Had to take off one star for her. But Christian totally made up for her.

message 10: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Tran I totally agree with your comment!!!! I came to hate her "too extreme" religious belief