kari's Reviews > It's Not Summer Without You

Jun 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, ya
Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Wow, how to take a happy and hopeful ending, twist and turn it inside out until it becomes so sad that you don't really want to finish the story. That's what happened here and I didn't like it.
This story takes a long time to roll out, being quite a ways into it before it all stops being back story and you actually get to some action. The back and forth in this one didn't work as well as the first book and I didn't think the two person point of view added anything. Knowing Jeremiah's thoughts didn't add to my understanding of him. If we were going to have another viewpoint it should have been Conrad.
Belly, in this book, is, well, to put it bluntly, irritatingly childish. She is still pining over Conrad and yet, the first real chance she gets to lock lips with Jeremiah, she jumps right in, managing to hurt Conrad in the process, like somehow although she's known all along that he really loves her, being kissed by his brother, convinces her that she is suddenly over him. Again, I didn't like it. Does she really know Conrad and her own self so little? Is she that shallow? I'm left to wonder why either of these brothers are interested in her, other than we've been told that she grew some nice-sized boobs and is now quite the cutie.
And Jeremiah, whom I really liked in the first book, becomes far less likeable. He is smart enough to know Conrad isn't going to tell him the truth of what he feels, he doesn't tell anyone. Jeremiah knows it's not true when Conrad says it, but he chooses to believe the lie. Didn't like that from him and moving in on the girl you know your brother loves is. Not. Okay.
Jeremiah and Belly (hate this nickname, btw) seem very selfish to behave that way, particularly at the time they choose to make out. Not. Okay. Jeremiah's thought process seems to be that he wants to be the one chosen over his more accomplished and better at everything brother more than it's about him actually wanting Belly. Like he'll feel better about himself if he gets chosen instead.
Belly tells Conrad off the day of the mother's funeral, unable, she says, to stop herself. These two brothers have just lost their mother and are dealing with that grief, so Belly, maybe it shouldn't be all about you just this once. There seem to be so many instances in this book where Belly needs to stop herself from saying or doing something childish and then when Conrad calls her on being childish, well, she acts even more like a whiny baby.
I felt like I actually understood Conrad far less at the end of this book than I did at the end of the first one, Belly regressed a lot and Jeremiah wasn't the same person as the first book. If this guy went to five proms with five diffrerent dates, what possible reason would he have for then going after someone his brother cares for? What kind of person does this? With all the girls he could have, he wants the one he shouldn't have. He seems unfeeling of his brother who has always had a more difficult time dealing with things.
How truly stupid is Belly? When Conrad tells her he never cared about her, which she knows to be a lie and which happens right after she's been caught up close and personal with his brother, she chooses this time of all the times, to believe that's the truth and when he later tells her it wasn't true, she thinks to herself, aha, gotcha and then ignores his heartfelt words.
Did. Not. Like. Her.
I thought this story was about Conrad and Belly and how she was going to help him, the way his mother asked her to, the way she promised his dying mother that she would after his mother tells her how much Conrad loves her, not just another teenage love triangle with two fabulous boys enchanted by a girl not worthy of either of them. I'm tired of this particular overused plot, very unrealistic.
I read that this is actually the second in a trilogy. Not sure I'll sign on for the third one as this installment was very disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not Summer Without You.

02/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My name is Belly

message 2: by kari (last edited May 16, 2011 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari I apoligize if my comment bothered you. I wouldn't want to be called Belly if I had a choice, but seriously, not meant to offend anyone. ☺

message 3: by Eva (last edited Dec 30, 2010 04:02PM) (new)

Eva Leger I wouldn't admit that.
And it looks like your name is actually Isabel and that you've somehow gained the nickname 'Belly'. (Hopefully not for the most obvious reason.) :-D Nickname/name = not the same thing.
I'd like to ask what was the point of your comment? To see if kari would apologize?
I stick to my first sentence. I wouldn't admit that.

message 4: by kari (last edited Dec 30, 2010 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Yeah, I wouldn't either, now that I think of it. Thanks,Eva.

message 5: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger No problem kari. I'd love to know the purpose of Belly's comment.

kari Me, too.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi 100% agree with all of this.

Trishka I agree with you on not wanting to finish the story :( Like for me, what is there to hope for or look forward to in the last book when it's clear as day that he's not her happy ending.

kari if you like this series, definitely read the final book. Belly grows up and the ending is good.

Trishka kari wrote: "if you like this series, definitely read the final book. Belly grows up and the ending is good."

Will do, thanks!

message 11: by Haley (new) - added it

Haley Moore how

message 12: by Haley (new) - added it

Haley Moore how do you guys read thewhole book

message 13: by kari (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari Haley wrote: "how do you guys read thewhole book"

IF you like the story and characters, you'll want to read the whole series. Even if this one isn't my favorite, the final book is a great payoff for sticking with it.

Shyanne What do you think of the final book?

message 15: by kari (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari I loved the final book.

Joanne OMG.. I so agree with every single thing you said on this review.

message 17: by kari (new) - rated it 2 stars

kari thank you. this book really didn't work for me. I thought Belly was so selfish and childish.