Crystal's Reviews > Hope Meadows: Real Life Stories of Healing and Caring from an Inspiring Community

Hope Meadows by Wes Smith

Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: everyone!
Read from June 26 to 28, 2010

My rating is based primarily on the subject matter, more than on the writing style. I disagree with another review, which said the book was unreadable because of the poor writing. I thought that the sections written by various members of the community, while not always as well written as the main narrative, were an excellent way to give a definitive voice to many of the residents of Hope Meadows. I came away from the book with a huge sense of respect and even awe for what these adults are willing and able to do in order to help some of the most at risk children imaginable. The stories were sad, but really not graphic, and in fact sometimes frustratingly vague. There was only one couple interviewed for the book that I didn't like and perceived as selfish. For everyone else I read about, I was touched by their stories, encouraged by their accomplishments, and warmed by the way that the various lives from such different backgrounds were able to come together to make a better life for everyone. I may not want to live at Hope Meadows myself, but it does make me want to live somewhere similar. I completely recommend this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope Meadows.