Tessa's Reviews > Because I Am Furniture

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

Jun 15, 2010

bookshelves: makes-you-think, contemp-realistic, abuse, verse
Read in June, 2010

I took a break from my current fantasy/fairytale kick to read this. The title was so compelling I couldn't just pass it by on the library shelf. And the description on the inside jacket cover got me hooked. It was very well written. The story would have lost so much if it had been written in prose. The poetry fit so well.

3 out of 4 cases of abuse go unreported (or some similar statistic). Victims excuse the abuser and continually return to them. I've always had a hard time understanding how this could be. Why would you stay with someone who hurt you so bad? This book helped me understand a little more of the victim's perspective.

I cannot say how much I loved the furniture metaphor and Anke's journey to find her voice and the courage to finally take a stand against her father.

This book did use the F-word once and that's the only thing keeping it from a five star rating. I don't want to excuse or justify that use, but if it had to be there the author used the best placement--during her stand against her father.

Graphic descriptions of abuse would have really bothered me but Chaltas dealt with it in a delicate enough way that I was able to enjoy the book despite the horrific content. She gave enough detail to let you know what was going on without giving you nightmares.

Very powerful, very compelling, this book was excellent.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because I Am Furniture.