Elizabeth's Reviews > Dead Man Walking: The Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty That Sparked a National Debate

Dead Man Walking by Helen Prejean

Aug 02, 07

bookshelves: best-nonfiction, women-writers, politics, 2006, law, america, favorite-writers
Recommended for: everyone
Read in July, 2006

I don't think you can read this book and continue to support the death penalty. Sister Helen Prejean's account of her personal experience is compelling, but when augmented with her cogent philosophical arguments, firm grasp of statistics and facts, and ability to calmly but firmly entertain and then quash every remotely plausible counterargument, the result will transform the way you think not only about this pressing political issue, but about punishment, humanity, and forgiveness. I think it should be required reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man Walking.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Besides the well-known movie, there's a little-known opera -- yes, opera -- of Dead Man Walking. I thought it was a crazy concept, but it came to Boulder and we went with friends. If anything, a more intense experience than the movie. Sister Helen Prejean, along with the creators of the opera, came on stage after the show opening night and took a bow. Holy cow!