Larissa's Reviews > Kill Me Again

Jul 20, 10

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, to-review
Read from July 11 to 20, 2010

4 & a half starts!

This is the sequel to Maggie Shayne’s Killing Me Softly and I am really happy that this trilogy is coming out in the short span of 3 months because it definitely brings down the waiting factor to a minimum and let’s you be as involved with the series as you want to be, without the “who-is-that-guy-again” factor.

Kill Me Again took me once more out of my cozy comfort zone and didn’t even have the “I-see-dead-people” thing to help me sleep at night and pretend I was still reading something with a supernatural element. However, i don’t scoff on it because I have really been trying to enjoy different genres nowadays and this trilogy just keeps getting better in my honest opinion.

We met Olivia in the previous book and that was when we learned about her tragic and mysterious past and even though we never learned a lot about it, it was enough to know that despite being able to hide from it for 16 years, that past was going to bite her in the ass sooner rather than later.

Olivia Dupree is mild-mannered English Professor, though that is not who she was even close to being over 15 years ago. She was born Sarah Quinlan, but due to a violent boyfriend and tragic circumstances she took over the identity of her murdered roommate all those years ago.

Cut to the present and we find Olivia waiting excitedly for the arrival of her idol, recluse fiction author Aaron Westhaven, who has surprisingly agreed to give a talk in her University’s fundraiser the following weekend. A call about an assassination attempt and an amnesiac John Doe turns her life upside down faster than she thought possible.

Our hero starts the novel not knowing who he is. He wakes up in the hospital after surviving a shot to the head with a woman telling him she thinks he is a recluse author named Aaron.

That doesn’t strike him as familiar, but he can’t really refute it until he starts dreaming about what he believes is his life and realizes that it would be much simpler if he was this Author, because if what he is remembering is true, falling for the woman on the run with him would be too wrong to even contemplate.

I loved this book and Maggie did a superb job in keeping us in the dark about the hero’s real identity and job until the very end and that journey was definitely the wildest of rides.

Olivia is a great heroine, a woman hiding from her past, but strong nonetheless. She stuck up for what she believed and fought to get out of an awful situation. She is smart and because of her past experiences she doesn’t trust easily or at all, well, not unless we are talking about the cutest and biggest dog ever, Freddy.

“Aaron” and Olivia are perfect for each other and work so well together. Their romance was really enjoyable to read about and even though he was reluctant to give himself because of who was believing he was and she couldn’t really trust him, they were able to fall in love and fight for each other.

Kill Me Again is a non-stop thrill ride that I could barely put down for a second. Great characters, an extremely lovable sidekick and a lot of adventure made for an awesome read. I recommend it to any Mystery / Thriller lover out there!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Me Again.

07/11/2010 page 1
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather That was a great review! I never knew what this series was about so I always passed it by. Now it sounds like something I'd like to read. I'll look into thanks for stepping out of your genre, it'll help me step out of my genre, too.

Heather
Buried in Books

Larissa Heather wrote: "That was a great review! I never knew what this series was about so I always passed it by. Now it sounds like something I'd like to read. I'll look into thanks for stepping out of your genre, it..."

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it and I do hope you enjoy this trilogy, I really enjoyed books 1 and 2 and I cant wait to read book 3 =)