melissa1lbr's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: arcs, collection, review-copy, young-adult
Read in June, 2011

Things I Liked:
I really liked the Guardian/Keepers/Searchers mythos. The dynamics, history, and ideas behind these paranormals was so intriguing, definitely helping it stand above the pack (ha ha). I loved when she was learning about what might or might not be true in her world and the fact that she has to start questioning everything she's been told. The wolf pack aspect was pretty fun too - I liked how Cremer developed them and how they relied upon one another. Also, the second half of the book, once the action picks up, was certainly pulse-pounding and thrilling. Lots of good stuff ahead for this paranormal series (which, yes, I'm very behind on).

Things I Didn't Like:
What I really disliked the most was the romance. It wasn't that they fell in love at first sight either. It was a pretty good triangle, for the most part. I just didn't like Ren or Shay. I thought the first half of the book was Calla going from one to the other and not being able to resist either one's advances. She'd kiss one and melt and then go to the other and repeat the same thing. Honestly, I got tired of it. I wanted her to leave both of them behind. Also, some of the plot points were super obvious to me from the start. There were a few twists I didn't see coming, but much of it I had figured out very early on. Still, the ending left me intrigued and I'd like to see what happens next.
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.