Jilly's Reviews > The Confessions of Catherine de Medici

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C.W. Gortner

Jun 27, 10

Read from June 15 to 27, 2010

Catherine de Medici was known as a seer(witch)by some, but to others she was the savior or the French Monarchy. She was sent from Italy, betrothed to Henri II, and becomes the Queen of France. With Henri, it was no love match. She was in the shadow of his mistress, Diane Portieres. But still, Henri and Catherine have 6 children together, and Catherine secures the throne for her sons. It is a poignant story, told through the voice of Catherine-a brave strong woman who determination to keep her sons in the French monarchy.
It was a good story, but now I have read 2 sides of the story. I read of Diane Portieres, and her influence on King Henri II, and Catherine's rule after Henri's death. My heart says Diane was Henri's true love, but my mind Henri saw his future heirs depended on his queen, Catherine.
I would recommend this book to fellow "historical fiction" readers. It is rich in detail about royal life, and morbid bloody battles of the war between Protestants and the Old Religion- the Catholics. I felt transcended in time-C.W. Gortner writing style is poignant and enriched with detail. Recommend!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Catherine de Medici.

06/15/2010 page 153