Colleen's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Jun 14, 2010

bookshelves: wizards-sorcerers, ghosts, urban-fantasy, vampires, mystery, monsters, faerie
Read from September 02 to 30, 2011

**SPOILERS** - But only for Changes (The Dresden Files #12)

Although I guessed correctly as to who killed Dresden from the events that occurred while reading Changes, Ghost Story did make me wonder a few times if perhaps I was wrong ... AND I certainly didn't expect the other bits revealed at the conclusion of this novel.

I'm especially pleased that Butcher committed to continuing Harry's adventures in spirit form rather than having him miraculously find a way back to life within a few chapters (which was actually a worry for me). Unfortunately for Harry, but fortunately for the reader, Harry reluctantly accepts his fate, stays true to his nature to help his friends by putting himself in harm's way, and gets wack-a-moled as the story progresses.

Urban Fantasy authors take note, making your characters human (fallible and true to their nature despite whatever you throw at them - even death) and requiring them and the events they face to react as real as possible within the context of the rules of your world, is the difference between great characters and good characters. That's not to say that they can't act irrational when faced with a challenge outside of their norm, but at some point they need to realize this themselves. Additionally, your characters need to continue developing beyond book number three or five. Even though Harry (and The Dresden Files' supporting characters) has (have) grown bit by bit over the course of this series, it is so refreshing that the game changer thrown at them in the perfectly titled Changes, forces them to mature in surprising, and yet realistic, ways. Because Butcher did just that, I'm still excited to follow Harry and friends to Cold Days and the eventual conclusion of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.

Quotes Colleen Liked

Jim Butcher
“My gast was pretty well flabbered.”
Jim Butcher, Ghost Story

Jim Butcher
“Jump into an open grave? What kind of idiot are you?" Butters replied. "I might as well put on a red shirt and volunteer for the away team. There's snow and ice and slippery mud down there. That's like asking for an ironically broken neck.”
Jim Butcher, Ghost Story