Kristy's Reviews > Too Good to Be True

2079018
Jun 14, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, loved-it
Read from June 14 to 24, 2010

What a great book. It took me a while to really get into it. I had a lot going on when I started it, and it moved a little slowly at the beginning. But the more I read the more interested and more invested I became with the characters.

One of my favorite characters, besides Callohan O'Shea of course was Margaret! She made me laugh almost every time she opened her mouth. I really enjoyed the dynamic between the sisters near the end. The beginning was sort of tense when she was around Natalie, and even though Grace wanted to protect Natalie from her feelings and baby her, I DIDN'T! I was mad at Natalie. But as the story unfolded I could see more where Grace was coming from.

I couldn't believe the lengths Grace was willing to go to protect her lie about Wyatt. I didn't really understand that. I would have come clean a long time ago I think. Well, I never would have said it in the first place. I did like how that lie came full circle at the end with Tommy's dad.

Another aspect of the story I loved was her mothers sculptures. Whenever they were around her sculptures I always laughed at the things being said or how uncomfortable they all were. Hilarious.

There was one thing that annoyed me with this book, and it was the phrase "God's nightgown." What the heck does that even mean? Sometimes I think authors add those little quirky sayings to make their characters sound cute. But I don't think it worked in this case. It sounded stupid, to me anyway.

OK.. ON TO THE QUOTES

This quote might not sound as funny taken out of context, but it cracked me up when I read it. They are all sitting around the table at a wedding reception.

"Your father and those idiot battles," Mom muttered, adjusting Meme's collar. Meme had apparently fallen deeply asleep or died...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You and dad love each other, right? You just lie to bicker."

"Oh Grace," she sighed. "What's love got to do with it?"

"Thank you, Tina Turner," Margaret quipped.

"I'm hoping love has a lot to do with it," I protested.

Mom sighed. "Who knows what love is?" She waved her hand dismissively.

"Love is a battlefield," Margaret murmured.

"All you need is love," I countered.

"Love stinks," She returned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you're thinking this would be a good place to rob, let me set you straight, young man. We have security cameras, you know! Alarms! The police wil be here in seconds."

"You two must be related," Callahan said drily.

I smiled. "My grandmother. Eleanor Winfield, meet my neighbor Callahan O'Shea."

"Oh, the Irish." She sneered. "Don't loan him any money, Grace. He'll drink it away. And for God's sake, don't let him in your house. They steal."

"I've heard that," I answered, grinning. Cal smiled back and there it was, that soft hot feeling in my stomach.

"We had an irish maid when I was a child," Meme continued, looking sourly at Callahan. "Eileen, her name was. Or Irene. Possibly Colleen. Do you know her?"

"My mother," he said instantly. I choked on a laugh.

"She stole seven spoons from us before my father caught on. Seven."

"We loved those spoons," he said. "God, the fun we had with your spoons. Eating, hitting each other on the head, throwing them at the pigs in the kitchen. Happy times."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Good to Be True.