Joel Simon's Reviews > The Trial

Dec 19, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2007

This is either a very simple book or a very complicated book, depending on what you want to make of it. In the end, I liked it but I struggled with parts of it to keep my interest and found the style and pace not to my liking. However, I can see how a story such as this could keep a college literature class going for a couple of weeks in deep discussion. There are many ways in which to interpret it -- (1) a philosophical attack on the law and the justice system (including all the players in that system), (2) an illustration of supreme overconfidence and indifference and how that type of thinking can lead to ruin, and (3) a guilty condemned prisoner, who delusionally thinks he is completely innocent, constructing in his mind the story of his own plight and fate. I might change my rating later, after the book sinks in a bit. I am already thinking three stars might be too few, but I am not sure. I have never read a book before where I didn't really like a single character in the whole story. I also don't see what about this book makes Kafka one of he greatest writers of the 20th century. But I have an open mind on that subject and hope some of my friends will be able to enlighten me on this point. I think that my expectations were set too high by this thought and that is why I am probably feeling a little disappointed now that I have finished reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trial.

nakta hi dear joel this book show aperson couldnt change his future and to end forget what was his problem please dont lauph to me my english isnt good and itrid to learn can u help me to improe my english by email thank u

Joel Simon Maedeh wrote: "hi dear joel this book show aperson couldnt change his future and to end forget what was his problem please dont lauph to me my english isnt good and itrid to learn can u help me to improe my engli..."

Maedeh - Thank you for your message. I think you are right. The main character got so caught up in the process that he lost track of the substance. Don't be afraid to keep working on your English. The fact that you try is half the battle. I live in France and still struggle with French but I am not going to give up. You can e-mail me any time.