The Reading Countess's Reviews > The Day of the Pelican

The Day of the Pelican by Katherine Paterson

2027269
Jul 20, 10

bookshelves: arc, historical-fiction

"Honor is not the exclusive property of any political party." Herbert Hoover
It killed me to leave this book off in Chicago as part of the summer Recycle Your Reads program (I am leaving children's books off during our summer vacation with a note to pass it along to another reader when completed). This is a beautiful and relevant story about the struggle in Yugoslovia with Milosovec at the helm. The compelling story about a family on the run told through the eyes of young Meli, a girl the same age as my own students, would have been a compelling read for them. I will have to pick up another copy right away!
*Pair with Number the Stars (about WWII?)

"There is an old saying: "You never really know someone till you've eatena sack of salt together." (p. 41)
"May your life be lengthened, brother," Baba said. "May we see one another well..." (p. 95)
She thought of Rachel, shame0faced but doing what Brittany ordered her to. Zana would never have betrayed her. Friends don't do that. The bite Meli was trying to swallow lodged in her throat. (p. 135)
"Tell them my children wish to be respected as fellow teammates and not despised because of their heritage. That is the way of the old country. This is America, tell them. In America, everyone has a new beginning." (p. 139)
"Baba is right. One man does not make a team. We must play together or there is no team." (p. 140)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day of the Pelican.