Kate Krake's Reviews > Winter

Winter by John Marsden

Jun 14, 2010

liked it
Read on June 14, 2010

I picked this up to study the style - serious Australian YA written in 1st person - more than the actual story. I ended up being quite drawn into the story though and found I had trouble putting the book down.
Stylistically, it's a great example of how small details can bring a story right off the page. Not only details in settings and more visual aspects, but little things like dialogue and small character references that all work together to make the story really live.
As far as story itself goes, I was as compelled as the title character to find out what happened, and interested in the relationships between the characters, even though some of them were a little glossed over and some things don't really get wrapped up very well. But it is a short book, so perhaps that can be forgiven.
My only complaint was the ending - I felt like Marsden may have been in a rush to finish so, once the mystery was resolved, the girl and the boy get together, everything just kind of stops. But then again, really, not much else actualy could have happened.
Overall though, quite good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter.

Alana sane here