Emma's Reviews > Magic's Pawn

Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey

Dec 19, 07

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Recommended for: adolescents who think they might be gay or who are put upon

By popular demand (ok a friend asked me to "do the one with the blue-eyed telepathic horses and the owls you could ride on"), a review of the Vanyel books. This series, with it's billowing clouds of adolescent angst, gay boys, and yes, blue-eyed telepathic horses, basically got me through my teenage years. I would lock myself in my room and sob. Oh the tragedy! Oh the gayness! Oh the telepathic horses!

Note: I don't think the owls were in this series. Or the magic valleys where there were lizard servants to cater to your every whim. Yes, lizards magically genetically modified to be slaves but happy about it. Nice huh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic's Pawn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda Finally, I'm happy to hear that there was another person out there that loved these books when they were a teenager and looks back and wonders exactly why? What is it about Mercedes Lackey books that grabs the teenage soul and makes you say, "I should have a blue-eyed telepathic horse and some happy gay boy friends and other friends who can kick ass with a sword and THEN I'd be happy?" What do you think?

Emma Heh. I remember the day the spell broke for me about these books: I was reading the reviews on Amazon.com and one of the reviewers said something like "There are more sophisticated ways of dealing with emotions than bashing your reader over the head with them". Ouch. But true. Nonetheless, as a teenager in a lot of pain it was sort of like empathy. It gave me faith that someone in the world, at some time, would eventually understand what I was going through, even if my parents didn't. Because after all, Vanyel's parents didn't either. And he got a gay soul mate out of the whole deal. =)

Nakki "Oh the tragedy! Oh the gayness! Oh the telepathic horses!"

I am laughing so hard I'm crying! :D

Oh Kay. Deep breaths.

I'm one of those folks who loved these books growing up (I discovered them at the age of 9) and a decade and change latter I still respond to them in a similar fashion as to when I first read them BUT I am now able to laugh at the ridiculousness of them even while I cry in sympathy with Vanyel and Stendel (the name I use to refer to the Stefen/Tylendel entity).

Lydia Owls and lizards were deffinatly not in this one, that would be the mage winds trilogy which I don't recomend. If you want to read Mercedes Lackey Exiles Honor is good.

Alysa Depends how you define series. The lizards are in Valdemar, just not in Vanyel's trilogy. Owls you can ride on? Nope. Not Valdemar