liz's Reviews > Shadowheart

Shadowheart by Laura Kinsale

May 06, 07

bookshelves: cheesy-romance-novel
Read in October, 2006

Yeah, yeah, historical romance. Hysterical romance? Opposites attract (because don't they always in these books? Either that or they've known each other forever, but only just realize they're in l-o-v-e). A little intense for the plot, more plot than romance, but then when there is the romance... I had no idea they were into role-playing during medieval times. Well... I can't really decide if I'd ever want to read anything by her again. Unfortunately it's sort of put me off reading for a little while; I was very frustrated at the Library tonight. You'll see what I ended up choosing... (less fiction)

Actually, looking at the opening sentence, it should've been more promising:
On Plow Monday, all the chickens died.
Elayne knew she shouldn't have tried to substitute a chicken feather for the quill from a magical hoopoe bird. But Savernake Forest did not harbor hoopoe birds. In truth Elayne had no notion what a hoopoe bird looked like--the only place she had ever seen the name of the creature was in the handbook of charms and experiments that contained her formula.

Unfortunately it only gets more serious from there. Family politics! Deceit! Oooh!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowheart.