Rachel's Reviews > The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom

The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom by Katherine Arnoldi

F_50x66
Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: english-420

This was a graphic novel that I liked. I read another graphic novel that did not impress me, so I was expecting a similar experience. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The story deals with a 17-year-old single mom who has no support from her family. Everyone tells her that she made her bed so she would have to lie it, but she does not stop there. Her dream is to go to college, so she works in a factory and as a waitress so that she can save enough money to go to school.

After she works hard for a long time, she gets taken advantage of again and must start all over from the beginning. But she never gives up.

This is a hopeful story that is also meant to help teen moms. In the author's note at the beginning, Katherine Arnoldi explains, "My purpose was to help single moms feel worthy to pursue their rights to an equal access to education and provide them with the information to do so, since young moms often miss out on high school guidance counseling."

I am not a teen mom, and I don't know how that feels, but from reading this book, I would say that Arnoldi's purpose would be effective for a young woman in that situation.

It gives worth to teenage single mothers and shows them that they don't have to give up. They can continue to dream, and they can reach their dreams.

The story is told in a pretty general way, without many details, but it is still powerful nonetheless.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom.