Ana's Reviews > A Soft Place to Land

A Soft Place to Land by Susan Rebecca White

F 50x66
Jun 14, 10

Read on June 14, 2010

This book is about half sisters that are separated after the death of their parents. While the plot is not revolutionary, the author does two thing very well. First, White's strength lies in manipulating tone to reflect the characters' changing perception of their situation in life- as characters grow up, come to terms with the death of their parents, overcome resentment towards their fate and adapt to their new home. Second, White has done extensive research on Atlanta, San Francisco and Virden to provide an extremely realistic picture of physical space and cultural contexts. I was extremely involved in this narrative and thoroughly enjoyed recognizing venues in Atlanta, roads that I have driven on and especially the mannerisms of Atlantans(that varies according to neighborhood). My favorite aspect of this book was being able to compare and contrast the cultures and perceptions of Atlanta neighborhoods, San Francisco and Berkeley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Soft Place to Land.