Rachel's Reviews > Running Loose

Running Loose by Chris Crutcher

F_50x66
Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: english-420

This is one of my favorite books that I have read this summer. It follows the senior year of high school student Louie. He lives in a small town where high school football is everything--and he is on the team. He has trained all summer long with his best friend Carter so that he can play well when football season starts.

He works so hard, but then he gives up everything to stand up for something he believes in. Early in the season, the football coach tells his team to purposefully injure a black player on another team. That player is good and the coach tells them that they can win only if that player (Washington) is out of the game.

Louie doesn't know what to do. He certainly won't hurt Washington on purpose. But then Boomer, the crude tough-guy on the team does hurt Washington by smashing him straight into a bench. Louie yells at the ref and then storms off the field. In protest, he quits the team.

His coach denies Louie's accusations, and the principal doesn't believe him either. When Louie refuses to take back what he said, the principal suspends him from school, but his parents and his beautiful girlfriend still stand by him.

All through the book, Louie continues to stand for what he believes. I loved this book because Louie was a great character. He is honest with himself and relies firmly on his own conscience. He refuses to sacrifice his beliefs, even in the face of severe consequences. I love Louie's unflinching dedication to standing by his principles no matter what.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Loose.