Alisa's Reviews > Obernewtyn

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Jul 01, 10

Recommended for: Young teen readers who like an independent heroine & a bit of magic
Read in June, 2009

Why do authors assume that after the nuclear apocalypse, we'll all be going back to medieval England? I get the connection to feudal organization and primitive/agricultural technology, but I don't get the "old-timey" language. Just don't buy it.

This series was recommended by a great librarian who told me how much her daughter had loved it. So I was prepared for great FSF candy. And...not so much. I was feeling really dismal about it all, when I came to the talking cat. And, I know, this is where some people would locate the final straw. But, for me, this is the point where I knew I could go on. If there was a talking cat - a half-crazy, psychic talking cat - how dour could it be. I was free to enjoy frivolity.

It was frivolous. Not shatteringly original. But a likable heroine, and an engaging read for a young teen reader.

It had a "crisis" that was resolved at the end, but the heroine wasn't really required to save her own bacon. The ending feels very much like a series book, not so much because of cliff-hanging, but because the reader feels that much of substance is missing, and therefore must be yet to come.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauren I don't know how much attention you were paying if you really thought it was a talkiing cat :P The whole point is that most animals can communicate with humans, if the human has the talent to hear them :P