Nikki's Reviews > The Next Best Thing

The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins

Jun 14, 10

Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert ** While for the most part I enjoyed this book—it was touching and tragic, made me cry in a few places (mostly do to the tragic mistreating of Ethan), and had some pretty romantic and steamy scenes.

The problem... it is soooo looooong. There is so much pointless rambling by the quirky side characters, just to show off their quirkiness, that I got boring in places. There are pages of witty dialogue and just plain talking that has no real purpose and could have been left out with no actual lose to the story. i found myself skipping scenes when the Black Widows started talking or even Ethan's family. I just could not care to read the chatter. Yeah, it is realistic of real life... but no matter how realistic the author wants to be, this is a book. You don't wan to bore your audience.

My other qualm is that only half of the loose ends got wrapped up by the end. Lucy and Ethan end up together... but it doesn't make sense because as far as I am aware she never got over her fear of him dying. That was probably the largest hurdle in their relationship and yet it gets forgotten because the easier obstacle to fix is tearing down Jimmy's sainthood. The families' miraculously sudden acceptance over probably the most unromantic confession ever is strange. And Lucy apparently just forgets about the revelations about Jimmy. I don't care how forgiving or in denial you are, eventually the thought that another woman might have given birth to your husband's child WILL rear its head again. Basically I just feel that most of the emotional baggage that were called obstacles in the course of the book, were actually still present when apparently everything was supposed to be resolved.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Best Thing.