Evelyn's Reviews > Little Brother

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: realistic, science-fiction
Read on September 23, 2011

It's only scifi because it's one of those books whose setting could be a few years from now.

The beginning bored me - the main character was immature and seemed just out to have fun. After they got detained in prison, things got a whole lot more serious, and, in terms of story, interesting. I kept getting flashbacks to Ender's Game, with Valentine and Peter (that was the brother's name, right?) and their whole Demosthenes and Locke deal...setting up a movement through technology. The diversions to explain hacking/coding terms confused me but I enjoyed reading them nonetheless. Made me want to plot stuff.

I didn't like the characters. Every move Markus made seemed ill thought-out. A typo revealed that Ange was added in later as a stand-in for Van (I can guess why), which went a long way explaining why Ange's presence in the story felt redundant. She was a likable enough character, but her role as Markus' co-conspirator was more interesting than her role as love interest. The ending skewed more towards the latter role. I do not approve.

Reminds me of Francine Prose's book After, but with terrorism instead of school violence. Paranoia-inducing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Brother.