David S. T.'s Reviews > Lunar Caustic

Lunar Caustic by Malcolm Lowry

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, fiction
Read in June, 2010

Its hard not to approach this book knowing that it was written by the guy who wrote Under the Volcano (which very well might be my favorite novel) and just because he wrote UtV, I wanted to give this novella a bunch of leeway (but it actually set my expectations too high). Originally I was going to give it 3 stars, but truthfully I didn't enjoy it very much. The drunken stream of consciousness of UtV was replaced with a story about his time in a mental institution, and the bulk of the story focuses on the dialog between himself and two other patients, most of it wasn't my type of stuff. So while the success of UtV made Lowry famous, I have to wonder if it also set a standard which he could never reach again (if this book is any indication of his later stuff). Of course I'm being unfair by comparing it to UtV. Also as short as this was, it probably would have been better placed in his short story collection, not as a standalone edition.

I have a few more of his books, so hopefully I'll be less disappointed with them.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunar Caustic.