Josephine (aurora lector)'s Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Mar 08, 09

Recommended for: Luna Lovegood and people who can connect with her
Read in April, 2007

** spoiler alert ** This book is one that you will enjoy, or won't. I don't believe many people fall into a catagory of 'between'-ness for this one. I personally adored it.

I didn't think much of it when I first read, even though it still has everything my english teacher spoke about when we were reading it Freshman year of High School. Still the embodyment of a loss of innocence, and man's inate evil, and that good cannot thrive where too much evil runs free.

What touched me most was the character of Simon, I feel that his 'seizure' in the woods was something more, in the novel, at least, than a symptom of epilepsy. It saddens me just thinking about it. Simon was a boy who was unbiased, and in a simplistic way, very mature. He saw the world neutrally, and in the way a child does, but he understood it. The moment when reality invades his peaceful state, when the Lord of the Flies invades, maddness is pulling open his seams. He lives with the terrors of the world, but the maddness the Lord of the Flies brings with him tells him to look at them and recognize them for what they are. Evil is everywhere. What the Lord of the Flies wants Simon to accept would drive him insane; over the thin edge that holds his balanced world in.

I enjoyed this book a lot. I also noticed that I tend to like sad books that make me feel dramatically mournful. Just a note.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Josie I have to comment because of your recommendation, which I love, even though I didn't actually love this book. I do agree about Simon's story, though; that was definitely one of the best/worst parts of the book.

Josephine (aurora lector) Josie wrote: "I have to comment because of your recommendation, which I love, even though I didn't actually love this book. I do agree about Simon's story, though; that was definitely one of the best/worst parts..."

Thanks. Simon's story is what I remember most after reading this book more than 6 years ago.