Leigh's Reviews > The Bikini Car Wash

The Bikini Car Wash by Pamela Morsi

F_50x66
Jun 14, 10

Read in June, 2010

Andi Wolkowicz hasn't been able to find work in her hometown. She left her career to move back and help her Dad take care of her mentally handicap twin sister after her Mother died.

Down to her two dollar diet (she limits herself to just carrying $2.00 in her purse for bus fare) she finds out that her Dad still owns the local car wash. A simple comment by her Dad about the benefits of being your own boss, gives Andi the idea of opening a new business.
When that idea is rejected by the city counsel, she has only one option available, re-open her Dad's original business. In this day of automated car washes, she needs a hook. . . something to make her car wash unique. Will washing cars in a bikini be enough to earn a living?

First the few things that didn't work for me:

The beginning of the book was a little slow for me as Ms. Morsi set the stage, showcasing the lack of available jobs. I knew from the blurb and the title that ultimately Andi would open a car wash, so I was a little impatient for that part of the story to begin.

Also Andi seems to be very broke, but originally she plans to start up a new business, with new needs for remodeling, equipment, and supplies. How was she going to pay for it?

After Andi opens the car wash, there is a community response to the new business which I found a little unbelievable.

But those things are mostly nitpicking because the book worked for me.

Ms Morsi skillful characterization pulled me in, and didn't let go until the story ended. Andi's sister Angela nicknamed Jelly was delightful. She made me smile, she made me laugh. Pete and Andi seem like ordinary people dealing with life but I love how Ms Morsi illustrated their strength of character, decency, and caring for others. I felt like I was reading about neighbors or friends.

While not a perfect book for me, I closed the book with a smile on my face. Reading this charming book was an entertaining and relaxing way to spend the evening.

Grade B

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bikini Car Wash.